Friday, January 25, 2008

Wow!

I've sold two copies of Ruffles! I'm so excited! A huge Thank You to the folks who've bought it!

The Eco-Farm conference was a lot of fun. When I found out that it's been going on for 28 years, I felt the same way I did when I learned that Spanish has two forms of the verb "to be." That is, how could I not have known that? As far as fiber-relatedness; I went to a session on The Wonderful World of Sheep (and Goats) where one presenter talked about her Miniature Babydoll Southdown Sheep, which she rents out to weed vineyards, since they're so short. They sound really cute. She also has cashmere goats, but no fiber yet. The other speaker was a homesteader in Santa Cruz who raises Romeny crosses and just got a Wensleydale, which she's very excited about.

This last person handspins the wool and sells it at the Westside Santa Cruz farmer's market. She's not interested in ramping up any kind of production, which I respect, given her reasons for choosing this lifestyle, but it reinforced an idea I've been kicking around in my head for a booth at Stitches next year for small scale organic yarn producers who don't have any kind of big distribution. I haven't got much further with it than merely writing the previous sentence, but I do know multiple people who have experience with booths at Stitches, so I have a next action to take on this.

And I got a lot of knitting done. I'm making something that's probably too bizarre to write up as a pattern, but maybe not. And there were lots of knitters there. I freaked someone out in the exhibitor tent by asking about her fingerless gloves, "Oh, are those Fetching from knitty?" You could see her reevaluating the current paradigm as she switched gears from cheese samples to knitting. She was flattered that I had noticed them, though. Lots of hand-knit and -crocheted hats on wet farmer heads, too.

No comments: